- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 link sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Clean mushrooms by wiping with a paper towel to remove any dirt. Remove the stems and set aside. Using a melon baller or spoon, clean out the inside of the mushroom caps.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and place in a frying pan with 1 tblsp olive oil. Cook the sausage, break- ing up with a spatula. Add the diced onions with the garlic.
- Chop up the mushroom stems and add to the pan. When sausage is cooked and onions are transparent, remove and place in a bowl to cool.
- When sausage mixture is cool, mix in the breadcrumbs, adding olive oil to moisten if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stuff each mushroom with the sausage mixture, top with parmesan cheese, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.