- 2 lbs ground chuck, browned, drained and crumbled
- 2 T bacon grease or vegetable oil
- ½ C yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ C green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 C Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
- ½ C preferred steak sauce
- 1 tsp each: dried thyme, black pepper
- Slices of American cheese
- Grilled 4” buns
- Dill pickle slices (optional)
- In sauce pot over medium-high heat, place the bacon grease to melt, then add the onions and bell peppers, cooking 3 minutes until tender. Add the diced Roma tomatoes and crumbled ground beef, stirring to incorporate.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the thyme, black pepper, tomato sauce and steak sauce. Stir all ingredients together and allow to simmer on low for 12 minutes, bringing mixture up to heat.
- On a serving platter, place the grilled bun bottoms and place a slice of cheese atop each one. Scoop a ½ C serving of the Sloppy Joe mixture onto each bottom, melting the cheese and top with each bun crown. Garnish with pickle slices on then sandwich or beside.