For the Chicken and Sausage:
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Italian sausage links – 1 mild, 1 spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon each of thyme, oregano and basil
- 2 tablespoons capers
For the Italian Stuffed Bread:
- 1 lb. frozen bread dough
- Lg. pkg. of pre-washed Greens
- ½ onion, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1 Egg (beaten with a little water)
Chicken and Sausage:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. When oil is hot, add chicken and sausage to the skillet and cook until brown then remove from pan and set aside. Chicken and sausage will not be cooked all the way through at this time, it will finish cooking with the rest of the ingredients.
- Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and cook until the peppers have browned about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, orzo and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Cut the chicken and sausage into smaller pieces and return to the pan, add the chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Just before serving add the capers and the parsley. Stir to combine and serve. Serves 4.
Italian Stuffed Bread:
- Remove 1 loaf of frozen bread dough from the freezer and place in a bowl, rub with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and place on the counter. When it doubles in size – knead the dough, form into a ball and return to the bowl. Cover and let rise again until it doubles in size.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté onion, and greens. Add seasonings and finish cooking. Remove from heat and add cheese. Set aside to cool.
Putting it all together:
Roll out the dough into a rectangle and place on a cookie tray. Fill with the greens, roll tightly into a log. Brush lightly with egg wash. Set oven to 375 degrees and cook for about 20 minutes….remove and serve.Print Recipe