- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp black olives, finely diced
- 2 tsp anchovy paste (or 3 whole anchovies, minced)
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cup tomato sauce
- Fresh basil ribbons for garnish
- In a saucepot, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat until softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Add the olives, anchovy paste, capers, and red pepper flakes. Stir and continue to sauté for two minutes.
- Add the fresh basil and diced tomatoes, stirring to combine. Stir in the tomato sauce, reducing the heat to medium-low and simmer for ten minutes, minimum.
- Toss the sauce with your favorite pasta or ladle over a bed of pasta, topped with grilled shrimp or planks of roasted chicken. Garnish with fresh basil ribbons.