- 3-4 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tblsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cored and leaves separated
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and very finely chopped or grated
- 3 scallions (white and most of the green parts), thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and plenty of pepper. Set aside.
- Stack half the lettuce leaves, roll them up and cut crosswise into thin slices. Repeat with the remaining lettuce leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and other greens, scallions, dill, mint, borage (if using) and fennel. Whisk the dressing again and pour it over the salad. Add salt to taste, toss, and sprinkle with the pine nuts, if using.
Serve immediately.Print Recipe