- 1 pkg frozen pastry (2 sheets)
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausages (about 3)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs (3 cups) ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut in
- 1⁄4 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 slices prosciutto, coarsely chopped (about 1⁄4 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Defrost pastry sheets in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch round cheesecake pan or pie plate.
- Slice sausages 1⁄4 inch thick and remove casings.
- In hot oil in a skillet, sauté sausages until lightly browned on all sides. Discard excess fat.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, until well blended. Add ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, along with prosciutto, parsley, salt and pepper and sausage, and mix well.
- On a lightly floured board, roll one piece of pastry into a 12-inch circle, place in pan/dish, add filling, roll 2nd sheet, and place on top of filling. Fold top crust under bottom and crimp edges.
- Make slits in the center for steam vents. Brush with egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp. water.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Buy Whole Milk Ricotta and Remove from Container
This is not the time to buy low fat or skim, as you want to enjoy the richness. Take out of the container and put into a colander lined with cheesecloth, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, to remove excess liquid. Makes a nicer filling.
Prevent Edges of Crust from Over-Browning
Cut circle out of a folded in half piece of foil and discard. Put the remaining piece over the top of pie to cover all the edges, leaving the middle exposed.
Can’t Find Prosciutto?
Deli Thinly Shaved Ham makes a delicious substitute.