- 1 Gallon Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Plain
- 1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder
- In a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet, pour in the milk and slowly heat on medium to a temperature of 180 degrees. A candy thermometer works well. There should be small bubbles around the sides just before a full boil. Stir the milk frequently while heating.
- Turn off the heat and allow the milk to cook to 115 degrees; at this point, add the plain greek yogurt and non-fat dry milk powder and mix.
- Ladle the mixture into either 8 pint-sized mason jars or 4 quart-sized mason jars. Screw on the lids.
- Using a warm blanket, stand the jars upright in the blanket and then fold the sides over the jars to cover completely. Let the bundle sit for 8 to 12 hours.
- After the bundle has sit for 8 to 12 hours, place the jars in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
- You’ll have really good, smooth, Greek-style yogurt. There shouldn’t be hardly any whey on top of the yogurt.
- If you want flavored yogurt (say vanilla) place a teaspoon or so in the jars before you ladle in the mixture.
Your yogurt will last about 1 week in the refrigerator.