- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses and 1 teaspoon baking soda, stirred together
- 1 cup sour milk* and 1 teaspoon baking soda, stirred together (*add 1 tblsp to one cup of milk to make your sour milk)
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixture, with a hand mixer on low, or by hand.
- Add the cinnamon, powdered ginger, and salt to the mixture and combine.
- Add molasses as mixed with the baking soda.
- Add sour milk as mixed with the baking soda.
- Add flour, a little at a time, and mix until a firm dough is formed.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll your dough out on a well floured, flat surface to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with your favorite cookie cutter shapes.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a cookie/pizza stone or flat pan on parchment paper. Do not overbake!