- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cups flour
- 4 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups molasses
- ¼ – ½ cup water
Note: You may need multiple batches, depending on the size of your house!
Make the Dough:
- Melt shortening, either on the stove or in the microwave.
- Cool slightly and mix in molasses and sugar.
- Whisk spices and two cups of the flour together and then add to the sugar/molasses mixture. Add remaining flour about 2 cups at a time, also adding ¼ cup of water to help bring up the consistency.
- Mix well and add enough water until the dough is not crumbly.
- Knead the dough until smooth, then shape into two round “discs”, bag, and refrigerate overnight (a few days is fine as well.)
Bake the Cookie:
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough 1/4″ thick and cut each to the sizes of house pieces you need.
- Bake at 325 degrees, until firm but not too dark around the edges; should be around 12-15 minutes.
- Be sure to allow the cookie to cool completely before assembling into your house.