- 1 bunch of turnip greens
- 2 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce (BPA free)
- Jumbo shrimp (deveined & deshelled)
- 2-14 oz. cans of Mackerel
- 3 white onions (diced)
- Fresh Garlic (minced)
- 8 oz. brown Basmati rice
- Dry Seasoning: Cayenne pepper, Chile powder, Oregano
- Salt & pepper (for taste)
- Roughly chop turnip greens and set aside.
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Heat saucepan.
- Add tomato sauce, turnip greens, onion, garlic, and dry seasoning.
- Stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add jumbo shrimp.
- Simmer for additional 25 minutes.
- In another pan (or rice cooker), steam brown rice.
- Remove jumbo shrimp stew from heat and serve over brown rice.
Estimated Price With Ingles Shopping: <$20
- Turnip greens contain vitamin C, calcium, Vitamin A, and fiber.
- Jumbo shrimp contains omega 3 fatty acids which many Americans lack in their diets. Mackerel is also sustainable and low in mercury.
- Tomato contains antioxidant plant chemical lycopene.
- Brown rice/Kous Kous contains magnesium & fiber.