- 1 standing rib roast, at least 3 bones-about 8 lbs.
- 2 lbs. assorted new potatoes, quartered
- 5 lg. carrots, peeled and quartered
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano olive oil
- 1/8 cup kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp. instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. turbinado sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, ground in mortar & pestle
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 500°F and place a rack in the lower third of your oven.
- Combine all spice rub ingredients together. Trim your roast, leaving just a thin layer of fat, or have your butcher trim it for you. Apply spice rub liberally to the entire roast, including the underside.
- Reserve 1 tsp. of the rub to season vegetables with. Place the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, and oregano in a large roasting pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle them with the reserved spice rub. Toss to combine, and place the roast, bones side down, on top of the vegetables.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 500°F. Remove from your oven, lower the temperature to 300°F, and return the pan to the oven. Start checking the internal temperature of the roast after 1.5 hours. Remove from the oven when the internal temperature reaches your desired doneness (see chart).
- While the roast is resting, increase oven temperature to 400°F and return the vegetables to the oven. Roast until golden brown and slightly caramelized. Serve with au jus and horseradish cream.