- 6-10 roasted garlic cloves, from the salad bar
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water until soft (boiling technique)
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red peppers, optional
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (baking aisle) or parmesan
- 8-12 oz. mushrooms, whatever type you like
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta (or other), prepared
- cherry tomatoes
- sautéed mushrooms
- pine nuts
- Soak your cashews in water overnight, or do the quick soak version.
- Add soaked cashews, and the soaking water, to a blender with nutritional yeast, basil, red peppers and blend until smooth, set aside. Prepare your pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté your mushrooms and cherry tomatoes for about 5 min.
- Reserve a cup of pasta water before draining.
- Drain pasta, return to pot, add the sauce, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Toss to coat. Add reserved pasta water to get to the consistency you like.
- Plate and garnish with fresh basil and pine nuts. Serve warm or chilled depending on the season.