- 16 cups bread cubes (about 3⁄4 of a 20 oz loaf of bread), toasted
- 2 large apples, cored and diced (about 2 cups – I prefer Granny Smith or Pink Lady)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon caramel flavoring
- (optional – or sub vanilla extract)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Non-stick spray
- Caramel sauce
- Spray a 9”x13” baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cream of tartar, nutmeg, cinnamon, eggs, flavoring, milk and heavy cream, stirring thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place the bread cubes in the mixing bowl, adding half of the chopped nuts and all the
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread, tossing to dampen all the cubes.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish, leveling from corner to corner, sprinkling
with the remaining nuts.
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350o.
- After resting, bake for 45 minutes covered, then ten minutes uncovered if you prefer a
lightly browned dessert.
- Serve immediately or cooled, drizzled with optional caramel sauce or Cinnamon Whipped Cream.