- 1 pound Fillo Pastry
- 2 Cups Salted Butter
- 2 Egg Whites
- 4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 8 Cups Walnuts, coarsely ground
- 4 Cups Almonds, coarsely ground
- 2 tsp Rose Water
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Orange Flower Water
- 1 Cup Pistachio nuts, peeled and chopped
- Unroll fillo dough on a flat surface, keeping any remainder covered with a dry towel, then a damp towel on top. Sometimes I just use a dry towel only.
- Brush progressive sheets forming a stack with melted butter and place into a 16” x 10” pan. You can custom cut to ANY pan if you like, though… Lift off your first thin sheet, and brush top with butter. Keep adding more sheets one at a time. Repeat until all sheets are buttered.
- Beat egg white until stiff and beat sugar in gradually. Fold in walnuts, almonds, and rose water.
- Place nut mixture into the pan with buttered sheets on bottom. Then do at least ten more sheets and cover the top (this is the top layer). Cut slowly with a sharp knife into squares before baking.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes; reduce to 300F and cook 15 minutes longer.
- Now, to make syrup, dissolve sugar in water over heat, add lemon juice and orange flower water, and bring to boil. Boil 13 minutes, remove from heat, add rose water and cool.
- Finally spoon cool thick syrup over hot pastries. Leave until cool and sprinkle pistachio nuts in center.