This recipe requires a pressure cooker device like an Instant Pot, or similar device.
- 1-2 racks of baby back or spare ribs
- 1 cup of your favorite bbq rub or store bought rub (good recipe below!)
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1 Cup Chicken broth or stock
- 1-2 cups of your favorite bbq sauce
- Cooking spray
- Remove the membrane along the back of the rib rack. Discard.
- Slice ribs in 1/3 rack pieces and cover ribs in dry rub and place in a plastic storage bag.
- Remove air from bag as you seal it.
- Let sit in fridge overnight, or at least 5 hours…no more than 24.
- Pour 1 cup chicken stock/broth and the liquid smoke (1/4 cup max) into the pressure cooker.
- Using a trivet, place the racks on their side into the pressure cooker. Attach lid, secure, and make sure release valve is set to seal.
- On medium pressure, set the pressure cooker for 24 minutes. After the pressure cooker heats up, the timer will begin. Once the timer reaches zero, allow the pressure cooker to vent a natural release. (in other words…don’t touch it) Allow ribs to natural release for 20 minutes. This is a good time to start the broiler in your oven.
- After 20 minutes, release the rest of the steam from the pressure cooker (caution) and baste ribs liberally with your favorite bbq sauce. If you want naked ribs, this is a good time to baste the ribs with some butter or bacon grease.
- Spray a cookie sheet with a non-stick spray and place ribs under oven broiler. Keep an eye on them. An unwatched broiler is a recipe for, at best, a burnt meal. Turn ribs halfway through cooking making sure both sides get a little bit of burnt tips.
- Once ribs are broiled to your liking, remove from oven (about 8 mins per side) and add a thin coat of bbq sauce. Slice into individual bones, or eat by the rack. Ribs in one hour!
Bonus Rib Rub Recipe (makes 2 cups):
- 1/4 cup cumin
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup granulated onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbs black pepper
- Store in a cool dry place.